Below is one of the many products of sending 19 SMI students door-to-door for 3 weeks. Everyone contributed a line that either they’ve used or thought would help, so there’s a good chance they can work for you too. These simple lines can be used in a variety of combinations – the more you try them the better your conversations will flow. If you have any others to contribute feel free to comment. Special thanks to Luke for typing these up from the Papertron!
19 Questions/Methods That Facilitate Spiritual Discussions:
1. Did you know that internal stressors like anger can affect your physical health? How do you cope?
2. How are you coping with your situation?
3. How are you dealing with the stress of this illness?
4. Do you go to church/synagogue/mosque?
5. Do you believe in God?
6. Can I tell you about how God has helped me?
7. Do you pray? Does it help?
8. Read through Proverbs 14:30 (Amplified version)
9. Are there any cultural or religious beliefs that you hold that could affect your health?
10. We are concerned about your physical as well as your spiritual health.
11. We believe that God made us as a whole person, with physical, spiritual, emotional, mental, and social needs.
12. Do you consider yourself a spiritual person?
13. What gives you hope?
14. Tell me about your support system.
15. Are you a part of a faith community?
16. Do you feel like God cares about your health and well-being?
17. Are you involved in the community? Do you go to church around here?
18. Do you know God’s phone number? Jeremiah 33:3
19. Is there anything you’re struggling with that I can pray about? ( or someone you know?) Can I pray about that with you right now?
© 2020 Tenth Presbyterian Church.
Permissions: You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in its entirety or in unaltered excerpts, as long as you do not charge a fee. For Internet posting, please use only unaltered excerpts (not the content in its entirety) and provide a hyperlink to this page. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by Tenth Presbyterian Church.
Please include the following statement on any distributed copy: By Anne Brown. © 2020 Tenth Presbyterian Church. Website: tenth.org