"As a child I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene…No one can read the gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life." Albert Einstein
Both believers and skeptics recognize Jesus of Nazareth to be a remarkable figure in the history of the world. The gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) record for us the astounding words and works of this Jesus. However, there are different opinions about the meaning and significance of his life and the Christian movement he started.
Starting Monday, March 3, Tenth Church is offering a seven-week course called Christianity Explored. I am the minister of outreach at Tenth and will lead us through the Gospel of Mark as we consider the following topics:
Week 1—Good News: What are we doing here?
Week 2—Identity: Who is Jesus?
Week 3—Sin: Why did Jesus come?
Week 4—The Cross: Why did Jesus die?
Week 5—Resurrection: Why did Jesus rise?
Week 6—Grace: How can God accept us?
Week 7—Come and Die: What does it mean to follow Jesus?
What you can expect? Each week will follow the same format: dinner and conversation, a brief video introducing the topic for the evening, more discussion, and time for questions. You can expect to learn, be challenged, and hopefully make some friends along the way.
How do I know if Christianity Explored is right for me? Christianity Explored is right for you,
- If you are unfamiliar with or new to Christianity and want to discover for yourself what it’s all about.
- If you are skeptical of Christianity and the church but are curious about Jesus and want an opportunity to ask your questions and learn about him.
- If you are a Christian person and have a friend you would like to introduce to Christianity in a “non-churchy” way.
- If you are a Christian person who needs to rediscover what Christianity calls “the Good News.”
- If you are a Christian person who enjoys discussing the Christian faith with other people in a sympathetic, patient way.
The course will take place Mondays from 7 to 9 PM March 3 through April 14 at the Black Sheep Pub (just north of Tenth Church on 17th Street). There is a $75 registration fee, which includes dinner and materials for all seven weeks. I invite you to register and learn more about Christianity Explored.
© 2021 Tenth Presbyterian Church.
Permissions: You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in its entirety or in unaltered excerpts, as long as you do not charge a fee. For Internet posting, please use only unaltered excerpts (not the content in its entirety) and provide a hyperlink to this page. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by Tenth Presbyterian Church.
Please include the following statement on any distributed copy: By Will Spokes. © 2021 Tenth Presbyterian Church. Website: tenth.org