The Minister of Metro Outreach supports the mission of the church by equipping and sending the members of Tenth Presbyterian Church out into the workplaces and parishes of Philadelphia for Word-based, Spirit-empowered gospel ministry.
The Minister of Metro Outreach is an ordained member of the pastoral staff responsible for implementing the church’s mission to reach Center City and evangelize Metro Philadelphia by leading the outreach efforts of the church. The Minister of Metro Outreach is guided by the Senior Minister. The Minister of Metro Outreach supervises the work of the Director of Maranatha (outreach to teenagers), Tenth Interns, and the Director of Tenth College Fellowship.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Model a lifestyle of personal evangelism and train church members to engage in such a lifestyle
- Develop, direct, and implement all facets of adult outreach
- Initiate, create, and facilitate new outreach and assimilation efforts
- Oversee outreach events and activities
- Direct the ministry for single and married young adults, including Tenth City Network
- Direct the work of the college ministry, by supervising the Director of Tenth College Fellowship
- Direct the work of the outreach to teenagers, by supervising the Director of Maranatha
- Recruit and disciple the interns
- Share in the common work of the pastoral staff by attending all pastoral staff meetings and staff retreats, as well as serving on the Pastor of the Day rotation.
- Reside in the neighborhood of the church
- As an ordained minister of Tenth, serve and pastor Tenth’s congregation through leading worship, preaching, administering the sacraments, conducting weddings and funerals, attending session meetings, doing visitation, discipling members and regular attenders, and being available at the church for pastoral ministry. He is allowed to serve the PCA denomination and engage in outside ministry activity (e.g., publishing, speaking, serving on boards, etc.). These activities, however, are not to interfere with prior commitments to Tenth Church and should be approved by the Senior Minister.
- A sinner saved by grace, mature in Christ with a vibrant and contagious faith.
- A person of integrity, authenticity, and transparency, marked by humility, possessing the heart of a servant, who ministers with the gospel of grace – as opposed to through political or legalistic means.
- A Spirit-led believer, growing in personal sanctification, motivated to increase in spiritual fruitfulness and humbly desiring the blessed life outlined in Christ’s Sermon on the Mount.
- A pastor with a heart full of compassion, empathy, wisdom, understanding, and Christ-like love.
- A leader whose passionate zeal, Spirit-based energy, intellectual curiosity, vitality, and enthusiasm are evident to all, and who is approachable and a good listener with an ability to win hearts as well as arguments.
- Trinitarian, Christocentric, with an unwavering commitment to the authority and inerrancy of the Scriptures as originally given in the Old and New Testaments as the only infallible rule of faith and practice.
- Knowledgeable in Church history and Systematic Theology with astuteness and ability to engage the issues of the day, upholding the centrality of the Word in worship and the life of the church.
- Reformed in theology according to the Westminster Standards (Confession of Faith and the Catechisms) and academically credentialed consistent with the theological standards required by the denomination.
- Preaches clear, scripturally-based, expositional, well-reasoned sermons which are delivered with the proper authority and dignity, showing reverence for the Word of God.
- Pastorally and wisely applies God’s truths within Tenth’s cross-cultural context: to singles and married; to traditional as well as blended family structures; to people of all financial and educational backgrounds.
- Collaborates well with committees, commissions, and boards, valuing people, affirming their diverse gifts, delegating appropriately and effectively.
- Our church currently needs to hire someone with the following gifts from the Holy Spirit.
- Leadership and Organization (Romans 12:8), (1 Cor. 12:28)
- Service (Romans 12:7)
- Teaching (Romans 12:7)
- Fosters community in the church through hospitality (Hebrews 13:2), relationship-building, and shepherding
- Identifying and discipling future leaders within the Church (2 Timothy 2:2)
Home and Community
- Someone who desires to become a citizen of Philadelphia maturing in cross-cultural awareness and, if married or with children, a dedicated husband, and father who is willing to lead and serve his family sacrificially.
Master of Divinity or equivalent
- 5 years of experience
- Demonstrated Leadership Skills
- Demonstrated strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage operations to meet budget