On July 22, 2014, Tenth’s elders unanimously passed a motion asking all members and regular attenders, their families, and the church staff to join them in setting aside August 17–October 15 for focused prayer. We want to seek God’s mercy and grace for our church and wisdom for the future.
The elders highly encourage families, individuals, and groups to be in fervent prayer for these and other ways in which the Spirit leads us to pray for Tenth Church.
- Pray for the preaching/teaching at Tenth, including from the pulpit, the Bible School (adult and children’s), Maranatha, TIF, ACTS, small groups, etc. From his Word we learn what pleases our God and gives us direction in the way we ought to live. We know, too, that God’s Word will not return empty, but will accomplish what he desires (Isaiah 55:11).
- Pray for the pastoral and administrative staff by name and as a group. Particularly, pray for the arrival of Dr. Jerry McFarland and his beginning interactions with the staff and congregation.
- Pray by name for the elders in your parish to be effective shepherds (1 Peter 5:2).
- Pray for significant decisions regarding the 1710–12 building and staffing for the choir director/organist and other music positions.
- Pray for the spiritual stress placed on the congregation as a result of the protracted lawsuit and the potential impact this may have upon future decisions at Tenth. Pray as well for a fair, accurate, and truthful investigative report from Cornerstone.
- Pray for a general awareness of the spiritual battle we are in (Ephesians 6:12–13). Pray that the Holy Spirit would amplify the necessity for us to be supporting each other in prayer (v.18).
- Pray for the Lord’s provision for all our church budgets and for the Trustees and Pat Canavan as they serve as stewards for these resources.
- Pray that we would all exercise self-control when it comes to thinking or expressing our opinions (1 Peter 5:8) and that our speaking would be seasoned with grace, especially when speaking to those outside of the church (Colossians 4:6).
- Pray that the Spirit would work among us to be patient to hear the truth (Proverbs 26:20).
- Pray for the college ministry as it begins this fall. Pray that college students in the area will find a place to learn God’s Word and be in fellowship with other Christians.
- Pray for our other outreaches to our neighbors: Unscripted, The Jesus Story, the preschool, the playgroup. Pray that our neighbors will see the love of Jesus in us.
- Pray for the peace and unity of the church (Psalm 133:1, Psalm 85:6).
© 2023 Tenth Presbyterian Church.
Permissions: You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in its entirety or in unaltered excerpts, as long as you do not charge a fee. For Internet posting, please use only unaltered excerpts (not the content in its entirety) and provide a hyperlink to this page, or embed the entire material hosted on Tenth channels. You may not re-upload the material in its entirety. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by Tenth Presbyterian Church.
Please include the following statement on any distributed copy: By George McFarland and Russ Pfeifer. © 2023 Tenth Presbyterian Church. Website: tenth.org