Spruce Hill Camp 2019
June 17, 2019
Summer Program for rising 1st-9th Graders
@ The City School at Spruce Hill
42nd & Baltimore Ave, Philadelphia
June 17-21 & June 24-28
Registration is now closed. There is no waiting list.
What Is It?
This summer we will learn about REST. We live in a fast-paced world with events and plans, school and work. We are further kept active by social media and technology. While all these things can be useful and wonderful gifts, they also can keep us fixated on the present problems of life rather than the eternal value we have. God offers his love without expecting accomplishments or perfection in return. He invites us to trust him and not ourselves or our ever-changing circumstances. The Bible calls this-and our future hope-REST! Rest from efforts, rest from depending on ourselves/others/circumstances, and rest in the God who rules all things. We are excited to explore together what this means for us in how we live!
What Will We Do?
The day begins and ends with a high-energy program of games, funny skits, lively singing and Bible teaching.
- Kids rotate through a cycle of 4-8 classes in their grade-groups. Classes include:
- Arts & Crafts – lots of cool projects and creativity!
- Bible – reinforcing the theme of opening program–quizzes, dramas & interactive activities.
- Hodge-podge – a mixture of crafts & cultural activities.
- Gym – games of all types—both indoors and outside on the school playground.
- Subject “X” – group science projects and experiments in building, testing and creating all kinds of crazy and innovative things!
- Performance – singing, dancing, drama and creative arts – which we hope to showcase at our talent night.
- We also run an alternative program for Middle School students which will work on a different morning schedule, and join the younger kids for trips and activities in the afternoon.
- Afternoon activities will include: swimming, water days, carnival days, local parks and specialized classes such as sports, dance and cooking! And of course the all-camp-day competition on our last day when the banana split challenge will make its return, along with other games and team songs!
- Snacks and Lunch: The Archdiocese of Philadelphia provides free lunch and snacks. You can opt-in to this program OR pack your child(ren) lunch every day.
Who Runs the Program?
Our program director, Mrs. Dora Phan (Tenth Presbyterian Church) and Mrs. Adriana Melendez (1st Grade and Spanish teacher at The City School) will lead an energetic and capable team of high school and college volunteers from Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia.
Contact the Camp Directors
|Mrs. Dora Phan||Call|
|Mrs. Adriana Melendez||Call|
(Please do not contact the school office with questions regarding Camp)
What's the Cost?
Funding is being provided primarily through the fund-raising efforts of our volunteer staff and the generosity of our sponsors and supporters. There is a $60 per student cost for participation to help cover all trips and activities for the two weeks.
Pay online when you register. A limited number of scholarships are available if needed, please contact the Directors for details.
Who Can Come?
- Camp is open to all rising 1st– 9th grade students. The City School (Spruce Hill) students are encouraged to obtain registration forms for neighbors, friends and family who do not attend the school. More forms are available by emailing the directors.
- Spaces are limited! – To insure a place for your Child at Spruce Hill Camp you should be sure to register and pay online.
What Dates and Times?
Camp runs for two weeks: June 17-21, 24-28
- We begin at 9am sharp! Drop offs should be no earlier than 8.30am.
- Program finishes at 4.30pm and pick-ups should be no later than 5:00pm.
- PLEASE NOTE- We are unable to accept or release kids apart from these stated times due to our program schedule and security). This means no late arrivals or early dismissals.