Serving Our Church
Bridge Builders: A Ministry of Racial Healing
Bridge Builders meets for lunch and fellowship every third Sunday of the month. We provide an atmosphere where Tenth members and friends can build and develop relationships., especially across racial lines. A topic of interest, addressed by various Tenth leaders, is a focal point during these times of fellowship. For more information, please contact Joe Welch.
Tenth Children With Special Needs
Tenth Children With Special Needs (CSN) ministers to youngsters and Tenth families impacted by disability.
Training (Mercy and Diaconal)
Dr. David Apple, author of Not Just a Soup Kitchen: How Mercy Ministry Transforms Us All, is available to provide mercy and diaconal training for your church. Topics of interest include:
- The Role of the Deacon
- Congregational Mobilization
- Developing New Ministries
- How to Deal with Con Artists
- Listening and Showing that You Care
- Other topics that meet your needs
For more information, please contact David Apple.
Serving Our Neighbors
When parents go to prison, their children also partake of their punishment, often struggling with poverty, shame, anger, abandonment, and loneliness. Through Tenth, Prison Fellowship’s Angel Tree program delivers Christmas gifts, the gospel, and a personal message of love to children on behalf of their incarcerated parent.
- Community Dinners provide worship, good food, and Christian hospitality to 120 of our homeless neighbors. We minister the gospel while meeting physical and relational needs. Volunteers serve as table hosts, food servers, and cooks. The time required is two hours on the second Sunday of the month. Contact Stacey Brantley or David Apple, 215-735-7688.
- Fellowship Bible Study (FBS) provides weekly fellowship, singing, study of the Word, and dinner with a regular group of our homeless neighbors. Long-term relationships are formed and referrals for help are made for FBS Bible students who desire to enter Christ-centered addiction recovery programs. Fellowship Bible Study takes place the first, third, fourth, and fifth Sundays of every month, 4-6:15 PM, at Tenth; Fridays at Woodland Presbyterian Church (401 South 42nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104) in West Philadelphia, 7-9 PM. Tenth members are encouraged to come and share their faith in Christ. Contact Kevin Little or David Apple.
Our Nursing Home ministry involves worship and visitation by adults and children to residents of two area nursing homes–Powerback Rehab in Center City and Penn Center for Rehab in University City–on the second, third, and fourth Sundays of the month, 2–3:30 PM. Contact Rob Douglassor Miguel Pulido.
The Prison Ministry has been serving at the Federal Detention Center at 7th and Arch Streets since 2000, the year it was built. We have Bible studies in the male and female units with 5-10 inmates attending each one regularly. We have been given opportunities for tutoring and re-entry seminars and as well. The Bureau of Prisons provides security training plus criminal database and child abuse screening and finger printing for all volunteers. Contact David Apple